Monday, April 21, 2008

There Is No Parking Issue

I cannot commiserate with my fellow commuters. I am a biker, and convenient parking comes with my much more maneuverable form of transportation. When I can't find a bike rack I can just chain my bike to a pole or sign - despite the fact that this sometimes upsets the Elmhurst Security. Furthermore, I don't have to worry about bike theft; this is Elmhurst. I've had numerous bikes stolen in other places - the last one in Oak Park. It probably helps to have a bike composed of a smattering of other bike parts that have survived through my abuse and accidents - people take the shinier ones first.

I would go as far as to suggest to my fellow commuters that they too get bikes - even if they have a long way to go in a car. The commuters who experience chronic parking problems would be suited well by the flexibility of a bike. They could attach the bike to their car and park much further away - but still get to class on time. Everyone from Lance Armstrong to 'that morbidly obese guy on campus' would find biking a challenge; biking is much more accessible to the masses than say, running - there is no joint impact, and biking technique allows for a wide range of variance with less possible harm than running.

1 comment:

Buffer said...

Wonder why there aren't more bikes around campus. Some schools they're all over the place.

crowded parking

crowded parking
somedays are really bad (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/081903/met_174-1114.000.shtml)